Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- 2¼ teaspoons of dry active yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tbsp pumpkin spice
- Cooking spray
To make dough:
1. Dissolve the yeast and 1 tsp sugar in the warm water. Let it proof for 5 minutes.
2. Lightly spoon 2 cups of flour, leveling with a knife, into your mixing bowl.
3. Add the pumpkin puree, milk, unsalted butter, sugar, salt, and pumpkin spice in your mixing bowl. Beat with your mixer using the paddle at medium speed until mixture is smooth.
4. Switch out the paddle for the dough hook and add the additional cup of flour, and mix until combined.
5. On a floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic. The dough should feel sticky.
6. Place the ball of dough in an oiled bowl. Make sure to coat the entire ball with oil. Cover with a damp towel and let it rise in a warm place until it doubles in size, about 1 hour.
Pumpkin Cinnamon Filling
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
pinch of salt
1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, slightly melted
- 3 tablespoons canned pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
To make filling:
Mix butter, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, pumpkin spice, and cinnamon together.
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
To make glaze:
1. Using an electric mixer, place the butter, cream cheese, and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Whip together until pale and fluffy.
2. Mix in the powdered sugar, 2 tbsp milk, and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth. Add another tbsp of milk, if you desire a thinner glaze.
To put together rolls:
1. Punch dough down and roll it into a 12" x 10" rectangle on a floured surface.
2. Spread the pumpkin-sugar mixture all over the surface of the dough.
3. Starting with the long edge, roll up the rectangle tightly. Pinch ends to seal.
4. Cut roll into 1 1/2" slices.
5. Place slices in a baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray. Add a light sprinkle of cinnamon on top. Cover rolls with a damp cloth, and place in a warm place. Allow it to rise until it is doubled in size for about 20 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Bake for about 20 minutes, until lightly golden. The pumpkin rolls tend to have an orange color, which gives a golden hue, so you have to watch closely to be sure it doesn't dry out.
7. Once out of the oven, allow it to cool for about 5-10 minutes, then spread the glaze all over the top. It is also delicious straight out of the oven.
If you're intimidated to make the dough from scratch, use ready-made crescent roll dough and roll out into a 12" x 10" rectangle. You can make the filling and glaze from the recipe above, and no one will have a clue you used store bought dough. Homemade or store bought, the rolls come out delicious!
This post is featuring our Madeline dress.